Thursday 5 September 2013

Why you need a stick when hanging out in Iceland

If you're familiar with guides about Iceland, you may have noticed that several authors suggest you bring a stick when you hang out - both in the cities and in the country.

I never fully understood why until I was walking around Tjörnin one day.

I heard a screeching, cringing noise - I thought it was a cat or a very big and dangerous animal. As it turned out, it was a bird. I was reassured, but only for a minute: the bird proceeded to attack us like a war machine. 

And I'm not even making things up.

The animal catapultated towards us from a distance, trying to actually hurt us. We sought cover in the church nearby.

I was terrified. I never experienced anything like that. 

I asked our tour guide the next day if birds in Iceland are all crazy or if it was just that particular bird. He told me that apparently these birds - I don't know the name - are extremely territorial and if you go too close to their nests they can become pretty aggressive. They are afraid of sticks though. 

So make sure you have a stick. Do you understand? Bring a stick with you, always!!! (WARNING: I don't mean you have to hit the birds with the stick!! far from it!! You just have to swing it above your head and they'll leave you alone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment