Wednesday 11 September 2013

I'm a librarian so I should talk about books every now and then, right?

I'll probably talk about the most famous Icelandic writers one day. For today, I want to talk to you about a really cute book by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir, The Greenhouse (original title: Afleggjarinn ).


A patron returned this book earlier this summer, and she told me it was really good. Being by an icelandic author, I had to read it.

It took me 2 days. 


The story is about a young man who becomes a father without planning it. Being very young and confused, he decides to leave Iceland to go to a monastery in Europe to tend to a once famous garden. As it goes, though, he can not escape his life  and his little girl.



Being by an icelandic author, the book contains a surprising dose of humor. And I mean really funny humor. This is a thing I seldom - if not never - found in any icelandic book. As you probably know, Icelanders aren't famous for their sense of humor. 

Anyway.


This book is also very delicate; the plot flows from page to page, and it is as weightless as a feather. I smiled more than once, and almost cried because of the sweetness. Yes, if I had to describe this book with one word I'd choose sweet

It's nothing trascendental and maybe not a masterpiece, but it's calming and relaxing and it can make you smile and feel comfortable. 
That's what I like about books: the feeling of coziness they can give.



Fun fact: after seeing a picture of the author on wikipedia, I had the weird feeling that I already saw her somewhere. I later found out that she's the director of the art museum of the University of Iceland. As it happens, I have been there and there was a vernissage, and she was probably there. If only I brought my book with me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment