Thursday 5 September 2013

The shower police

I thought I was weird because I freaked out about the shower police when I was at Blue Lagoon.

Turns out I’m not the only one and there’s even a little book that talks about the shower police!
If you’ve never been there, here’s a brief explanation of what happens at Blue Lagoon.
After wearing your bathsuit, you have to pass through a shower section before entering the pools.
There are huge signs everywhere that say it’s mandatory to shower naked before entering the pool. 
There are a lot of showers, complete with shower gel, shampoo and conditioner.
Now, of course non-icelanders don’t always feel comfortable showering naked. So I didn’t take off my bathsuit and started showering and washing my hair.
That’s when the showers police intervenes.
A young lady walks up to me and politely asks me to take off my bathsuit.
To which I react like this: O____O
So I proceed to take it off, thinking she would move. But she stays. She stays and makes sure I’m washing.
I’ve rarely been more embarassed in my life.
So, if you go to Blue Lagoon…do it. Take off your bath suit and try not to get busted by the shower police.

A little side note: reading Alda Sigmundsdóttir's Little Book Of The Icelanders, I learned that the shower police is actually a thing among tourists. I was very relieved not to be the only prudish person at Blue Lagoon - apparently many people are puzzled about this custom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment