Wednesday 11 September 2013

Being a (occasionally raw) vegan in Iceland

When I left Copenhagen for the first time to go to Iceland, I packed a lot of vegan snacks and food.

On tourist guides, you read the most awful things about Icelandic food. I don't know if those rumors are true, but I wish I didn't know about it.

Being a vegan, I was aghast. I thought I would seriously resort to eating wild berries and probably die of food poisoning (side note: this didn't stop me at all from being over excited when I boarded the plane).

Upon my arrival in Reykjavík, I was surprised overjoyed to find a raw vegan restaurant on Laugavegur. I couldn't ask for anything better, really. The food was amazing and the place is cozy and awesome. I suspect Jónsi from Sigur Rós has something to do with it, but I can't know for sure.



Here's a pic of my magnificent lunch:



My meal: raw sesame burger with bulgur and chutney, and banana cake. Yummieessss

Other than that, though, I was afraid not to find anything edible (well, for my herbivore habits) anywhere else, especially during tours in the wild.

I was wrong once more.

At Gullfoss I was treated with an amazing vegan tomato soup, while Bonus (the unmistakable supermarket with a pig as a logo) has a surprisingly wide range of vegan products. There's also a vegan/bio grocery store on Laugavegur and a vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurant next door to the shop.

I mean. What more could I ask for, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment