Monday 16 September 2013

Pretty fly for a wifi!

I'm not going to state the obvious by saying that we live in a technology based society. Except I just did. Like this statement, there is no way to advoid technology nowadays. It's fact. And by all means I'm happy about it. Technology stimulates me, and makes me think big. Things that were just barely imaginable when I was little do exist now (like the Nintendo Wii...who would have thought?). Technology adds a lot to our life: social network is useful as it is vain; tech equipment in hospitals are a huge accomplishment and communications as a whole benefit greatly from all kinds of technology.


Many people though refuse to see this. Unfortunately, people in governments often think that technology is something we must fear and that it must be regulated. That's why many Countries (including my own) try to limit internet connections (wifi) and on a greater level free speech, which is one of the greatest and most noble purposes of the internet.
As usual, Scandinavia and Iceland are way ahead. In Sweden, everyone owns a tablet and wifi is mostly free everywhere. In Finland it is a right to be able to connect to the internet. Online courses are normal routine in most universities and the things you can do through your connection are countless (such as: vote, read a book, ...).
Iceland makes no exception. When I was in Reykjavik, I had no problems connecting my smartphone to the internet wherever I was. I could send pictures in real time to my dad at the hospital; I could update my blog; I could send work emails and all that stuff. Thanks to some really clever apps, I could make my own schedule for Iceland Airwaves (telling me how many people there were in line outside a venue) or find the nearest happy hour bar. More importantly, I could download an app that connected to my gps and called Lögreglu (the icelandic police and rescue service) with a touch of my finger, should I be in danger.
Even in the middle of nowhere I was able to connect my smartphone and check emails.
Now, this is great.
You may want to be as one with nature and not think about your job or your problems at home, but more often than not you'll need the internet and in Iceland you'll have no problem managing such a need.
This is not a sociologic question, there is no debate about how much you should chat with your friends or how many pictures are considered as an acceptable daily amount on instagram. What I like about Iceland is that, whatever you want to do with your smartphone or computer, you're free to do it.




No comments:

Post a Comment