Tuesday 22 October 2013

Iceland outside of Iceland: Sigur Rós shows


You know it was coming, sooner or later. Just bear with it.

So, Sigur Rós shows.
As many people obsessed with Iceland, I’m also obsessed with the post-rock-pixie-crazy-drunk-magic band from Reykjavik.


Photos from http://www.musikfestwochen.ch/

Of course, as a big fan, I’ve seen them a few times. Just, never in Iceland (because of stupid flight times, I must add – which prevented me from seeing OMAM live as well, but that’s a story for another time).

Back to Sigur.
The first time I saw them was in Switzerland, near Zürich. They played a fairly small open air festival in August, which isn’t very wise. In fact, it started  POURING just before the beginning of the show.
But that didn’t stop us and didn’t stop them. Jónsi actually joked about the weather being Iceland-like, which made him feel heima (I think at this point he knows the most hardcore fans do know a few icelandic words).
They then proceeded playing their amazing songs, accompanied by the most amazing lights show I’ve ever seen: the whole square was turned into a forest. And it was raining. Can you even imagine?!!
Photos from: http://www.musikfestwochen.ch
Let me tell you: no, you can’t.
You need to be there and be hooked to Jónsi’s vocals and the bow on the guitar and the mesmerizing texture of bass, violins, drums, celesta and weird little instruments to really understand.
You need to have your heart beating in time with Hafsól and feel the pounding in your body.

Sigur Rós are extremely talented.

Never before I’ve seen people at any show collectively hold their breath for seconds to create absolute silence, a silence which is part of the music and of the collective experience you’re sharing with other human beings.
Never before I’ve seen people dancing slowly under the rain, bright eyes, like they were in a trance, deep in a forest made of light.
Yes: re-read the last sentence. That did actually happen.

I don't know what to tell you other than: if Sigur Rós happen to be playing near you (the concept of "near" varies here – near for me, in relation to them, is Denmark) by all means get your ass there.

4 comments:

  1. One of the best evenings of my life. I don't even remember the rain as being wet, I just stood there, let it pour on me and was like a sponge. But I didn't soak up the rain, I soaked up the music and the atmosphere. This year's concert in Basel was probably better in terms of sound and light, but there's nothing like this evening in Winterthur. So only one dream remains: seeing them live in Iceland, in a more intimate venue, something like in Heima. I would give so much for having been in Iceland in 2006...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I fixed the horribly typos I made) Nice to know you were there, too! We drove all the way from Tessin just to see them. And it was wonderful: like you said, maybe the sounds weren't just perfect, but it didn't matter. It was such an unique experience, I actually felt I was sharing this experience with other people. I was soaking wet, laughing, crying, all my emotions flowing with the water.
      I'd like to see them in Iceland, too. I almost did it, like I said in my post, but had to skip the show because of my flight. I actually cried. I think seeing them in a natural environment like in Heima would be the most amazing experience ever.

      Delete
  2. Nice post :) As a "hardcore fan", I can absolutely relate to this ! Sadly, I wasn't able to make it to the show in Winterthur (altough I had tickets...)

    I saw them for the first time in 2008 in Lausanne, it was an absolute delight....since them I'm trying not to miss them whenever they play in our dear country. Still, one of the best memories is seeing them in Iceland last year for the closing of an epic Airwaves edition...that'll be forever in my head !

    PS : Have you see to new tour ? Totally worth it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually fixed the many typos I made (I'm sick) urgh awkward :D

      Too bad you didn't make it to the show. It's funny though because I had tickets in 2008 for the Lausanne show and couldn't make it! I've had tickets for Sigur Ros like, 4 times before I actually managed to see them!

      That is so cool that you went to Airwaves!!! It is one of the best music festivals in the world, in my opinion, and it's good to see other Swiss are going :) Last year's line up was crazy good. I wish I could go this year but I can't. Still, Sigur Ros aren't playing so I can be relieved a little.

      I've been to one show of the Valtari tour in February but I haven't had the chance to see the Kveikur tour. I'm really upset about it - I love Kveikur and I've heard they were amazing on this tour!

      Delete